1. What is Anuraag Foundation?
Anuraag Foundation is a US Based, tax exempt charity with a mission to support schools for mentally challenged children of poor families in India.
2. Our Projects in India.
Currently we are supporting ”Anuraag School for mentally Challenged” in Secunderabad, India. There are 100 students now in the school who are mainly drawn from slum areas around.
3. What services/programs are offered in the school?
Following programs are offered to the students in the school. Objective of these programs is to make these less fortunate individuals self-reliant get back to main stream society and become productive.
With a dedicated and passionate training staff, facilities, Anuraag has made impressive progress in bringing a number of these less fortunate individuals back into society over the last several years
- Counseling center
- Early Intervention Therapy services Pre-vocational training
- Educational assessment and guidance for slow learners with specific learning disabilities.
- Psychological testing
- Behavioral modification
- Speech Therapy
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy center
- Mobile Medical care center
- Out reach programs
4. What kinds of mental disabilities we address?
- Mental retardation
- Down syndrome
- combined with visual disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy
5. How the behavioral modification is brought in the mentally challenged children?
Instruction is given in 5 methods. Focus is on encouraging learning life skills and boosting their morale level.
- Personal: Teach how to do daily personal chores on their own
- Social: How to behave and mingle with others in the society, social etiquette etc
- Functional: Reading, Writing, Math and other functional education needed to survive in the life.
- Occupational: Depending on their Social and Financial affordability, give them occupational training to generate some income.
- Recreational: To create enthusiasm and to relax their minds, offer programs that include playing, singing, drawing, painting etc. The emphasis will be on encouraging and stimulating individual creativity.
6. What is typical expenditure of the school?
Currently, school has 100 students drawn from slum areas around and incurs monthly expenditure of Rs 3,00,000 (around $5000 per month, $60,000 per year). It approximately comes around $730 per student per year.
Approximate break down of Monthly Expenditure of the School in India
|S.NO||Expenditure Type||Amount (in Indian Rupees)||Amount in USD|
|1.||Mid day Meal||Rs. 30,000||$ 500|
|2.||Vocational Training||Rs. 20,000||$ 333|
|3.||School Building Rent||Rs. 30,000||$ 500|
|4.||Student Transportation||Rs. 30,000||$ 500|
|5.||Utilities||Rs. 20,000||$ 333|
|6.||Teacher Salaries||Rs. 1,50,000||$ 2500|